Spruce up a shelf or deck out your mantle for Valentines Day – with this Valentine Garland. Print, cut and hang in under 30 minutes.
What You Need to Make Your Valentine Garland
Putting your Valentine garland together couldn’t be easier. Here’s what you’ll need to create this handmade piece in 30 minutes or less:
- white cardstock
- color printer (print at home or send to your favorite copy shop)
- paper trimmer
- ribbon or bakers twine
- tape or hole punch
Tips for Cutting Your Garland
I love having handmade decor, BUT I’m not a fan of spending hours, when there is not hours to spend. That said, here are my best tips for cutting your garland out quickly.
- Batch your tasks – use your paper trimmer to cut all the straight edges (don’t worry about the bottom v cut right now – you’ll take care of that in step 3).
- Trim off all the outside edges first; then, cut the banner into individual pennants.
- On the bottom of each pennant, simply line the points up with the edge of your trimmer and cut the piece into a square. You’ll cut the v shape in the next step.
- Once you’ve done everything you can with a paper trimmer, grab your scissors. Make a single cut from a point in to the center; then turn your piece and do the same from the other side to make that perfectly cut “v”.
How to Hang Your Valentine Garland
There are probably lots of ways to put your Valentine garland together, but I’ll tell you my 2 favorite stand-by methods. The first is quick and easy. I eliminate any hole punching and simply grab painters tape and my bakers twine. I usually have the top of my pennants stick up past the string just a little – this makes the pennants hang a little better and makes it easy to keep the tape from showing once it’s hung.
My second favorite way is a bit cuter, but it takes just a few more minutes. First, you’ll hole punch 2 holes at the top of each pennant. Then, you’ll thread your ribbon, starting from the bottom up and then down through the other hole. Repeat with all your pieces and secure the ribbon on the back with tape if you’re having the pennant pieces slide more than you’d like.
You can get the 2 Valentine garlands by checking out Holiday Helper – a fun & festive group that provides you with monthly printable decor so you’ve got all the time in the world to celebrate while still having the cutest decor on the block.